What is Parental Alienation?

Parent Alienation

If you recently went through a divorce and share children with your former spouse, you may continue to encounter obstacles on the road as you and your co-parent continue raising them together. One of the most common issues divorced parents encounter is parental alienation. If you believe your co-parent is turning your children against you, he or she may be engaging in parental alienation and you should absolutely seek skilled legal counsel to take action and protect your relationship with your children.

The Signs of Parental Alienation

Just because your relationship with the children is suffering does not necessarily mean you are being alienated from them.

Here are some common signs of parental alienation syndrome you should be aware of:

  • Your children are excessively critical of you
  • When asked to justify their criticism, your children cannot provide evidence or strong justifications
  • Your children provide unwavering support for their other parent
  • Your children’s feelings toward you are totally negative and they never approve of anything you do
  • Your children do not feel guilty about mistreating you
  • Your children’s negative feelings toward you extend to other members of your family
  • Your children frequently use phrases or terms that sound borrowed from an adult or they sometimes refer to situations that they could not have remembered or never actually occurred
  • Your children claim their criticisms of you were not influenced by their other parent and totally achieved through their own independent thought process

Although this is not an exhaustive list of signs, these are the most common ones that indicate parental alienation.

What Can I Do About It?

If you believe your co-parent is alienating you from the children, keep a journal to document the times your co-parent made your children inaccessible for visitation, the date, and the excuses he or she provided. You should also document any other details you feel may be relevant in court if you choose to take legal action. The more evidence you have, the easier it will be to protect your rights as a parent.

It would also be best to correspond with your co-parent in writing, whether it be through texts or emails. Doing so will provide material evidence for your case. Additionally, consider seeking counseling to show that you took the appropriate steps to improve your family’s situation.

Secure Skilled Legal Counsel from an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today!

If you believe your former spouse is alienating you from your children, we understand how challenging and heartbreaking this experience is for you and will do everything possible to help you correct it. When you choose to work with The Springer Law Firm PLLC, you will receive the assistance of a team that is dedicated to protecting your rights as a parent and supporting the best interests of your children. You do not have to navigate this difficult situation on your own, especially when exceptional legal guidance is available.

Reach out to our law office today at (281) 990-6025 to set up a consultation with one of our experienced family law attorneys and learn more about your legal options.

Related Posts
  • Common Pitfalls to Avoid in Texas Child Custody Cases Read More
  • Legal Consequences for Failure to Pay Alimony in Texas Read More
  • How to Know When It's Time to Get a Divorce Read More