What Are The Chances of a Father Getting 50 50 Custody in Texas

father with daughter

The modern trend in divorce and child custody involves the parents sharing their children equally. In other words, Parent A will have the children half the time and Parent B will have the children the other half of the time. These arrangements are now more common than ever, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Parents who want to have 50-50 child custody -- especially fathers -- should take some proactive measures to increase their chances of receiving a joint custody ruling.

Here's what fathers can do to help their child custody cases:

  • Contact a Texas attorney - An experienced attorney can advise parents about their chances of getting joint custody and how to pursue this kind of custody in court.
  • Continue being a "dad" - No matter what happens in your separation and divorce, take every step you can to continue being a father. Be there for your children, help take care of them and provide for them financially. This will show the court that you're a willing and capable parent.
  • Pay your child support - It's vital for fathers to always pay their child support on time and never miss a payment. Missing a child support payment can hurt a father's chances to pursue custody. It is also illegal and may come with severe penalties. Remember, child support is the right of the child, not of the parents. 
  • Keep a child care journal - Maintaining a child care journal will create proof of the parental responsibilities you have completed as a father. These include school meetings, extracurricular activities, doctor appointments, etc.
  • Get your home ready - Make sure that you have a comfortable and safe home for your child. Having age-appropriate limits (ex: curfew) will show the court that you have the best interests of the child in mind.
  • Stay within range - avoid moving out of state or out of driving distance. This is a huge red flag to the court.
  • Stay goal-focused - Fathers may want to write down their child custody goals and stay focused on achieving them. Perhaps your goal is to have your child live with you part-time every week. Whatever your goals, keep your eyes on the prize, as it will help you stay clear about your decisions.

Have a Custody Dispute? Call The Springer Law Firm PLLC (281) 990-6025

Whatever your situation, if you're a father living in the state of Texas, who wants to pursue joint custody of your children, The Springer Law Firm PLLC is available to help you protect your parental rights.

Contact The Springer Law Firm online or call (281) 990-6025 for a consultation.
We have more than 85 years of collective experience.

Related Posts
  • How to Prove Paternity of a Child Read More
  • What to Do If the Father of Your Child Refuses to Acknowledge Paternity Read More
  • How co-parents can reduce their kids' holiday stress Read More