Melissa Sorbel is a family law attorney, admitted to practice law before all courts in the State of Texas and the State of California. After practicing family law in the San Francisco, California area for eight years, Melissa permanently relocated to Texas and joined The Springer Law Firm, PLLC in 2020.
Melissa's practice is exclusively dedicated to family law, including divorce, child custody and possession, child support, property characterization and division, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, domestic violence, paternity, and modification and enforcement matters. She handles both litigated and mediated family law matters. Melissa has experience handling both complex property issues and child custody issues. She takes a strategic approach to her cases and collaborates with other professionals when appropriate. Melissa understands that each client and family is unique and requires an attorney with the experience, knowledge, compassion, and tenacity to handle all types of issues that may arise.
Melissa is an active member of her family law communities, having served as the Chair of the Family Law Section of the San Mateo County Bar Association in 2017 and the Co-Chair in 2016. Melissa was named to the Northern California "Rising Star" list in Family Law by Super Lawyers on the basis of peer recognition and professional achievement each year for the past six years since 2015, a recognition given to only 2.5% of all Northern California lawyers. Originally from Washington State, Melissa received her J.D. from Golden Gate University, School of Law.
Areas of Practice
- Texas, 2018
- California, 2012
- Chair, Family Law Section, San Mateo County Bar Association (2017)
- Co-Chair, Family Law Section, San Mateo County Bar Association (2016)
- Volunteer Attorney, Superior Court of California, San Mateo County
- Golden Gate University, School of Law
- J.D., 2012, Highest Honors, Graduating Rank of First in Class
- San Francisco State University
- Washington State University
Awards / Recognitions
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star” Northern California
- Honor Advocate Award, AAML Trial Practicum (Northern California) 2014
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of California
- Fort Bend County Bar Association
- Family Bar of Fort Bend
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Mentee
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Family Law Section and Barristers Section