How to Enforce Child Support Orders

Child Support

A Guide to Redeeming the Money You Need to Raise Your Child

Being awarded child support often takes an exhausting amount of active work as parents settle custody matters in court. Once awarded, the decision is only as helpful as the paying parent is. If your coparent is repeatedly missing child support payments, we can help you enforce the order either through your own enforcement petition or the Office of the Attorney General.

Private Enforcement Action

While the Office of the Attorney General can take greater actions to enforce repayment of child support, private enforcement actions offer some notable benefits. If you pursue the case independently with our attorneys, you:

  • Avoid waiting for the Attorney General as they work on the cases ahead of yours
  • Can address and enforce other relevant elements of a court order, such as custody or property division decisions
  • Get personalized representation fighting for your rights

The court has a few methods of compelling your coparent to pay. They the authority to:

  • Hold the parent in contempt of court
  • Issue an order to suspend the parent’s licenses
  • Withhold a nonpaying parent’s paycheck

Furthermore, if the court issues an order confirming how much you are owed, we could file liens on bank accounts, properties, retirement plans, and other assets.

Enforcement Through the Office of the Attorney General

The Attorney General has unique capabilities in child support cases. The Texas Office of the Attorney General can enforce payment by:

  • Denying passport applications
  • Intercepting state benefits
  • Intercepting tax refunds
  • Reporting missing child support payments to credit reporting agencies
  • Seizing lottery winnings issued by the Texas Comptroller’s Office

They may also use all of the strategies named above that could be achieved through a personal enforcement case, such as suspending a license or withholding a paycheck.

While the Office of the Attorney General can take more actions, it’s important to know that they are not fighting on your behalf, or even that of your child. They are only representing the State of Texas in the case, with their sole purpose being to redeem the mandated assistance you’re owed.

Late Payments

Beyond urging your coparent to begin adhering to your child support agreement now, we can seek repayment of any arrears. What’s more, this repayment could include interest if it is delinquent. A payment is considered delinquent when it was not received within 31 days of the due date. From that date on, it is subject to 6% simple interest per year.

The Springer Law Firm PLLC can help you retrieve the financial aid you need to raise your child. Contact us for more information: (281) 990-6025.

Related Posts
  • What to Do When Your Ex Refuses to Pay Child Support Read More
  • What Is Included in a Good Parenting Plan? Read More
  • Can I Deny Child Visitation if My Ex Is Behind on Child Support? Read More