The many steps to obtain a child support modification

Do you pay child support each and every month? Have you come to find that you will no longer be able to make your payment in full?

This is a difficult position for many reasons. For example, you worry that your inability to pay in full could land you in hot water with the law. Along with this, you're concerned that this could have a negative impact on your child.

Even though you have reasons for concern, remember this: you may be able to obtain a child support modification.

If you come to the conclusion that a modification is necessary, here are some of the most important steps to take:

-- Review your situation. How much are you currently paying in child support? What are the laws in your state that govern how much you pay?

-- Speak with the other parent. For some, this is the best way to find a fast resolution. The other parent may agree for you to pay less in child support until your circumstances change. Tip: make sure you get this in writing.

-- Keep up the best you can. Even if you are unable to make full payments, you should send as much money as possible. Remember, until you are granted a modification, you are expected to pay in full.

-- Document your changes. In short, you need proof that shows why you are unable to make payments in full. An example of this would be a letter of termination from your employer.

-- File your request. Once you know that requesting a child support modification is your only option, you shouldn't hesitate to file your request with the appropriate family law court.

There is no guarantee that the court will grant a child support modification, but if you are unable to make your payments in full you should at least consider moving through this process.

There is a lot to think about, as well as many potential challenges, so it never hurts to consult with a family law attorney. Your legal team can review your case, explain the laws in your state, and help you work toward receiving a child support modification. In the end, a lower payment will allow you to continue to support yourself as well as your child.

Related Posts
  • What to Do When Your Ex Refuses to Pay Child Support Read More
  • What Is Included in a Good Parenting Plan? Read More
  • Can I Deny Child Visitation if My Ex Is Behind on Child Support? Read More